History of the Police Department
The Springfield Township Police department was established in 1960 by the Springfield Township Board of Trustees. The police department originally was located in shared office space at 8375 Winton Road. Over the years because of the growth of the Township, the demand for police service has steadily increased. To accommodate the growing Police Department, the department relocated to its current location at 1130 Compton Road. In 1979, a federal grant was obtained and used to build the current police facility. Today, the Springfield Township Police Department is a full service police department offering the latest in law enforcement technology and programs.
Springfield Township Police Department is currently one of select few nationally accredited police agencies across the country, under the standards of the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). This three-year process helps ensure the residents of Springfield Township have the most efficient, professional and ethical police department possible. The Police Department met the highest standards of the commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies and awarded Re-Accreditation in December 2004. In early 2004, the Police Department's new building addition was completed, giving much needed room and additional resources to the department.