Have you ever wanted to be a firefighter but didn’t know where to start? Springfield Township offers recruit training and employment opportunities to Township residents at no charge to you! Through the years, township residents of various ages and walks of life have completed the recruit training program and found that it leads to a rewarding position in Public Service. Many former recruits are still a vital part of STFD as both part-time and full-time employees. There is no maximum age limit to apply.
The Springfield Township Fire Department accepts applications throughout the year and processes eligible recruits through the training program annually. Generally, application screenings are done in May, applicants are interviewed in May – June, pre-employment testing and evaluations are performed in June, offers are extended sometime in July, and training typically starts in August. Specific dates may vary from year-to-year.
• Must be a Springfield Township resident to apply
• Must be a high school graduate before appointment to Recruit status (High school seniors may apply, but must have diploma prior to appointment)
• Basic physical agility assessment
• Police background check and CVSA
• State of Ohio BCI and FBI fingerprinting
• BMV records check for insurance purposes
• Interview with Fire Department Administrative Staff
• Medical physical exam (following official offer of employment as recruit)
• Six months firefighter training
• State of Ohio approved NFPA curriculum
• State of Ohio Fire Fighter Level 1 certification
• Auto extrication techniques
• HAZMAT Operations level
• Other applicable topics
• Six months EMT training
• NREMT (National Registry) approved curriculum
• State of Ohio EMT-Basic certification
• On-duty shift work with one-on-one instructor supervision
• NO out of pocket expense to the recruit! Springfield Township covers the cost of uniforms, tuition fees, books, test fees, and any required medical testing.
* Successful completion of State of Ohio FF1 and National Registry EMT Basic exams required for completion of recruit program and continued employment status with Springfield Township Fire Department.
For further details, contact Assistant Chief Rick Browe at 522-1410
Click here to download a Springfield Township Employment Application Form
* Write-in “Fire Recruit” for position desired.